Thursday, April 27, 2006

Okay, okay, okay.

Sorry.

I've been working ridiculous hours and my computer isn't talking to my camera at the moment. Eagerly awaiting the arrival of our Apple Guru to fix the problem.

Anyway, here's a short post until I can once again stun you with my photographic skills.

(You may interpret that however you wish).

Over breakfast, I was reading a post on kat-knits.blogspot.com in which Kat had a contest for the five most unusual places you have ever knitted. I was too late for the contest but here's my five anyway. I hope you post yours. Submt five memorable places you have knitted and the best entry gets a ball of Gomer Pyle Yarn (surprise, surpise, surprise). Deadline: May 12.

Mambocats' most unusual situations in which to knit, neither in order of timeline nor unusual-ness:

1. Knitting an Elizabeth Zimmerman Baby Surprise Sweater in my Animal Control unit while waiting for police backup to serve a warrant on a dog fighting ring.

2. After successfully scaling a modest rock wall in 1980, hanging my legs off the edge and pulling a cobweb-lace shawl out of my backpack. Splendid.

3. Perched on the roof of a Porta-Potty (hey, the view was great) waiting for the show to start at a Grateful Dead concert at Red Rocks, knitting the same shawl the same summer.

4. Knitting at the LSU college radio station during album hour on the overnight shift -- got a lot of knitting done then, indeed.

5. Knitting in the passenger seat of a supply truck when it wasn't my turn to drive during the animal rescue efforts after Hurricane Katrina. That pair of green socks kept me sane.

I showed you mine, you show me yours.

--Mambocat

6 comments:

LornaJay said...

Five places:
1. standing behind the bar on a quiet night in the pub (far too often - in fact, pretty much the only time I knit now!)

2. halfway up a guava tree, working on a clown in garter stitch before I reached double figures

3. in the queue for the Proms at the Royal Albert Hall

4. in the council offices, waiting to swear allegiance to the Queen and hence become a British Citizen

5. During the intervals (there were two in each performance) in the production of Wagner's Ring which we saw in Glasgow. I can't remember what I was knitting, that's how good it was.

Anonymous said...

1. Knitting a sock while sitting in the grass at the La Brea Tar Pits, Los Angeles.

2. Knitting the second sock while manning the role books for a Louisiana election.

3. Knitting (what else?)a sock while riding on the restored Chatanooga Choo-Choo, Chatanooga, TN.

4. Knitting yet another sock while riding across the Texas dessert on the Sunset Limited (train).

5. Knitting the beginnings of a triangular shawl while walking the Confederate Ramparts at Port Hudson, LA.

Wendy said...

1. Knitting baby socks in Lorna's laces red-white-blue yarn while stainding in line in the Moscow airport waiting to go home. I finished the socks and gave them to a baby on the plane going home with his new mom and dad.

2. Knitting socks at a Seattle Mariners game. My DH saved my life by deflecting a foul ball heading for my head.

3. Knitting at dog shows while waiting for our tunrn in the ring.

4. Knitting while attached to a breast pump while my twin babies were still in NICU.

5. Knitting during techinical presentations at work.

Wendy in NM

Anonymous said...

you are all topnotch and should get the prize. my only entry is that my latest unusual knitted objects are Condom Amulets, 2 more pictured this week on my blog. will this count? naomi in nyc who knit 150 red wiggler worms in 2001

Ann said...

1. Knitting icky chenille whilest babysitting the mainframe backing up banking records
2. In the back row of every stinking wrestling meet for all the years my sons were in high school (acrylic 'beanies' for the team)
3. Mid-way up in the stands down at the vaulting pit end of the stadium, ditto, dishcloths.
4. In the maternity ward, pre- and post-natal, small wooly hooded cardi.
5. In the driver's seat (but only while stopped. Yep. Only while stopped.)

Anonymous said...

Hmm.. I'm probably forgetting some, but here goes: again, these are in no particular order

bowling pro shops and bowling alleys- dh's favorite recreation

lots and lots and lots of radio station remote events and karaoke contests. I used to work for a radio station and specifically remember standing outside a dinky shopping center knitting a baby sweater while doing a remote from a far corner on the west side of Kauai.

On a whale watch. The motion got to be too much after a while and I stopped.

On a plane the week after 9/11 when they banned knitting needles. I took yarn with me and used coffee stirrers off the beverage cart. didn't work well, but they did work.

At the viewings for both of my maternal grandparents. I would have knit during the funerals, but I was crying too hard. Gram and Graps would have appreciated the knitting as they were both crafters. (Another bonus to knitting in such a situation is it helped contain the urge to strangle some of those swimming in the shallow end of my gene pool.)

In all likelihood, the top of Mt. Haleakala......... I haven't been up there in a while, but usually take knitting everywhere.

Not sure this is very unusual, but hey.

Aloha,

Lisa Louie