Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Would you knit this hat?


I thought so.

















You can do it in grownup size too -- picture not yet available.

I bet the urge to knit this hat would be even stronger if you knew that knitting this hat could help impoverished people find economic independence and dignity through Heifer International.

This remarkable hat was designed by Knitting Asylum correspondent Mary Lou Egan.

I like the fact that this particular animal hat looks much more realistic than the stuck-on-ears look which is so typical of the animal-hat genre. I like the fact that the contrasting stitching on the ears quite nicely mimics the guard hairs on a real tiger's fur, and the ear structure seems to be organic.




















But this hat is remarkable in other ways, too. Mary Lou wants the sales of her hat pattern to benefit Heifer International. I am trying to help her in that end, and I believe the most direct way for me to help is to start by giving the hat a review here on my blog, urging you knitters to buy the pattern, and encouraging yarn stores to sell the pattern and forward the proceeds to Heifer International.

My review of the pattern assures you that it is well-written and easy to follow. It's all easy stranded work too, for those of you who fear intarsia in the round.

To purchase this pattern directly, contact Mary Lou at:


marylou DOT egan AT gmail DOT com.


Of course, substitute periods for "DOT" and @ for "AT."


This is a fun hat to knit and a fantastic charity. I hope you give it your most serious consideration. Christmas is only nine months away.

P.S. - No, patterns for the ridiculously adorable kids are not available yet. Mary Lou is damn good at charting tiger stripes, but I think it would take her a while to chart the human genome.


--Mambocat

10 comments:

thatfarmgirl said...

Hmmm, I might have to make this in purple and gold!

Unknown said...

COOOOL hat! How much is Mary Lou asking for the pattern?

Also, Dez - i gotta picture I need to show you! How do I email you?

Anonymous said...

I've written to Mary Lou asking for particulars. I have a friend who is the ultimate LSU fan. This hat would make her absolutely - well, excitement is hard to describe in ladylike terms!

Anonymous said...

Wow Dez, I'm blushing up here in Minnesota. The pattern is $6.00 and is available via paypal/payloadz at my blog Yarnerinas -mlegan.wordpress.com. Sorry, don't know how to hyperlink in the comments. Anyone who can't do paypal, email me and we'll work something out. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Dez for bringing the Tiger cap to our attention - I might never have found it otherwise.

Found, ordered, paid for, downloaded and printed all in about 15 minutes.
All this activity between Minnesota and the east coast of Australia, ain't the internet wonderful???

Now, Dez, if you are really curious about Vegemite, the yeast spread - would you like to give me a snail mail addy / PO box No. I will gladly send you a small jar, and do not worry, it aint 'spensive.

Just take my advice - go easy. Use it like a condiment on a sandwich for instance - cheese and lettuce - and do NOT add salt until tasted.
Only those born to the stuff can slather it on regardless.

The living Vegemite is snoozing on the trampoline bed in the sunny window and did not want to be disturbed for comments. Busy digesting the FOUR breakfasts she has had since 6 am.

wlturland said...

Hey there! Caught your comment on the Harlot's site and decided to mosey over. I've been drooling over the thought of a NOLA yarn crawl, but my muggle best friend (and resident guide) keeps putting me off.

I'm loving that hat, and it would look good in purple and gold, but I'd get my butt kicked wearing it over here at UL... LOL. Might still make one as written though. My kids would love it.

Btw, if you're ever here in NOLA West (Lafayette) on a Saturday, email me and I can tell you where our group Knit Allons meets!

Happy knitting!

wlturland said...

Saw you on Crazy Aunt Purl too! Y'know that chick's from Carencro? Explains a lot!

I need to come to NO for a yarn crawl and to see that store you mentioned, the California Drawstrings... maternity jeans are wearing old and I can't find a freakin' pair of pants that aren't "Low Rise" to make my mommy tummy look even smooshier!

Anonymous said...

dez, in this single hat animals and knitting --one a vocation and one a hobby-- come together nicely, eh.

gae, a friend in sydney mailed me some vegemite a while back-- he was a bit scandalized when i suggested it might be an aquired taste ;-)

and a hats-off to lafayette aka nola west, where louisiana's best festival kicks off as we near the end of the month.

Anonymous said...

Got my Tiger Hat pattern yesterday, after Pay Pal FINALLY transferred some bucks for me. Wow, you didn't tell us it's a full-color chart...a thing of beauty. Now, to get it done by football season! VBG!

Although, is there any off season for LSU? No, I thought not.

Fiberjoy said...

Oh! You've pushed some memory buttons with that hat and the picture of the girl. My loved-to-a-frazzle favorite playmate was Tiger, and I still have a picture snapped of me that's almost the spitting image of the girl. One halloween I rubbed orange stuff on my face then striped electric tape across my face and orange sweatshirt. Yep, I think I gotta have that pattern. :-)