Saturday, October 06, 2007

This ...





...is Jigsaw, and this is why I was carrying on about finishitis and shawls the other night, because she had to spend the night at the vet after having a tumor removed from her back, and a long-overdue blog update was the best possible way to distract me from climbing the walls for awhile.

I found a lump on Jigsaw's back last week. She was scheduled for surgery the other day. We are awaiting the lab results on the excised tissue.

At least Dave and I are awaiting the lab results. Jigsaw is simply wondering why I have to keep shoving analgesics and antibiotics down her throat. I had to follow the poor dear to her hiding place to take this picture.

Our vet thinks we caught it in time. I hope so. Until we get the test results, I will be resuming my normal duties as a professional worrier. Jigs is one of our older cats, and I will be chewing my nails until I see the results.

Pouring coffee into myself at the moment. I am not up at 4:30am for funzies. We are having that garage sale today.

Folks, today would be a good time to check your own pets for lumps, bumps and other anomalies. Gently palpate your pet all over, especially between the shoulder blades. This was the most common site for vaccines until recent years, and some varieties of rabies vaccine are strongly associated with this type of tumor. Jigsaw's tumor felt like it was about the size of a lentil, and it moved freely because it wasn't yet attached to other tissue. Attached lumps don't move as easily. If you find anything out of the ordinary, schedule an appointment with your veterinarian as soon as possible.


8 comments:

Ann said...

Good wishes to Jigsaw. (She reminds me of our dear departed Miss Mouse--recessive tortie?)

Barbara-Kay said...

Best wishes for your faithful Jigsaw.

Thanks for the information. It sounds like the lump you found wasn't much bigger than the microchips my cats have, also between the shoulder blades.

Our vet, Dr. Lynn B., is now giving a rabies vaccine that is good for 2 years. Don't know if that means (a) it will persist as a threat for 2 years or (b) the exposure to side-effects is halved. Sigh.

Anonymous said...

Jigsaw, get well soon!!!

my vet found a lump on our 14-year-old in the same area. he was able to get fluid out of it, and it collapsed. we're still keeping an eye on the area, though.

Suna Kendall said...

Best wishes to Jigsaw. She does not look pleased.

Unknown said...

Best wishes to Jigsaw! My cat, an 11-year-old ragdoll has recently been diagnosed with mast cell tumor on his back in about the same spot. He has several smaller tumors all over and had to have surgery too. I just wanted to say I share your pain and wish you and Jigsaw well.
Linda B.
South Carolina USA

Anonymous said...

Best wishes to all of you. It's mind-numbing to deal with things like this, whether the affected is human or a furry friend. Hope that you did get it in time
Now to go check all three of our kitties...

Anonymous said...

(Responding to your blog comments because I'm too lazy to send email!)

Crossed fingers for you and Lisa and Stitches West. I hope to see you there and to meet Lisa!

Also crossed paws for Jigsaw, and thanks for your lovely comments about Maya. She was a good cat, and we miss her.

Finally, I think the raccoons ignored the Planet Organics box because they were too busy eating figs and apples off my trees, the little buggers!

Susan Luni said...

Dez, this week a pomeranian breeding kennel was shut down in B.R., and a friend of mine has rescued about 10 of the dogs. She has them at a vet now. Could you suggest some resource for assistance/volunteers/whatever? If you can, email me, please.