Sunday, March 27, 2005

"One for you, nineteen for me ... yeah, yeah, I'm the tax man ...."

Those of you who remember those lines may smile nostalgically. Those of you not old enough to remember can Google for "Beatles lyrics."

After spending the greater part of the first two days of my Easter weekend doing my penance with the prodigious task of seeing how much we can legally avoid rendering unto Caesar, I get to spend Easter Sunday doing exactly as I please, which involves indulging in both chocolate and knitting.

It's a lovely day, about 60 degrees a little after midday, breezy, with flowers exploding everywhere here in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. We are fortunate enough to have an elderly house with a whole-house attic fan. Delightful for knitting with the windows open. After a sunny morning, it looks like rain, which is also delightful.

I am about halfway through the handpainted lace shawl and I am quite pleased with the results so far. Not being naturally inclined toward daintiness, I do not like frothy, frilly, girly lace to wear or use for myself, but I very much like simple, well-structured openwork which shows off a good yarn.

This will be a good pattern for a beginning lace knitter to follow, because incorporating the pattern into the increases will be quite simple. It is a four-row lace pattern, so for every two repeats vertically, the shawl grows enough in width to incorporate two new repeats horizontally, one on each end of the center section of lace. The chart should be simple to follow.

Since I don't like to post if I don't have much else to say, I'll get back to the shawl-in-progress.

Mambocat

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Deb,

I love your writing -- what an interesting life you lead!

In Wisconsin we are having a drought -- it is hot and the corn is shriveling up.

I enjoy your comments -- on KnitU and in your blog. Plan to read it regularly. I'll be watching for your patterns, too

Ruth in Wisconsin