Friday, September 08, 2006

Croc Socks for Steve-O

It's difficult for me to describe how hard the loss of Steve Irwin is for those of us working in the animal welfare and wildlife conservation community. Few people have done as much as Steve Irwin to educate the public about wildlife conservation and to capture the public's heart regarding the plight of wildlife worldwide.

As a herpetologist, I think that Steve's most important work has been to help people understand that all living things are important, that every creature has its place in the scheme of things, and that they all deserve protection. Not just the cute and cuddly animals, not just the big dramatic animals, but the ugly ones and the scary ones and the little, bitty, seemingly insignificant ones as well.

Worthy of our vigilant guardianship are not just lions and tigers and bears and whales, but also crocodiles and sharks and snakes and spiders and bats.

Everything counts. Every living thing has a meaning and a purpose, and everything is beautiful if we stop long enough to really have a look at it.

In the above photo you will see my own snake hook, in honor of Steve, and two balls of green Koigu.

To mark Steve's passing, I am designing a pair of Crocodile Socks. Yes, fellow crocophiles, I know that salties are not truly green like this Koigu colorway. But it's what I have in stash today. and I can always work up another pair in a dustier color more authentic to Crocodylus porosus.

If I like them well enough, I will offer the pattern for sale. A portion of the proceeds will go to the Audubon Zoo.

R.I.P., Steve-O. The world is a poorer place without you.

--Mambocat

1 comment:

Kendra said...

I'll be looking forward to these socks and I think it's a wonderful idea. I'll miss him as he made a huge imact in my house and he helped my children love and wish to protect animals.