Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Not Taking Any Chances:



















Last night we had the whole nine yards for New Year's dinner -- blackeyed peas (for luck) and cabbage (for prosperity). Also, rice to put the beans on, because we are in the South, and because I am almost certain that you can get arrested if you serve beans without rice south of the Mason-Dixon line.


Not shown: generously buttered bread (also for prosperity). And it has to be real butter, mind you, none of that fake stuff. In days gone by, the wealth of an Irish household was measured by how thickly the family members buttered their bread.

I made enough of everything in the Good-Luck Food Group for a few days, just to be on the safe side. We stayed at home all day on New Year's Day, hopefully to assure an uneventful New Year.

On the counter, above the blue enamelware pot, you will see the bayberry candle I lighted on New Year's Eve still chugging along at dinnertime on New Year's Day. It finally burned out around 3:00 this morning, January 2. It was one of those jar candles, but since it burned all the way from New Year's Eve into today, I hope that is a good sign for the coming year.

Part of our uneventful New Year's Day involved watching movies and a considerable amount of knitting. Dave's sweater in La Lana Forever Random is now united in body and in sleeves, and awaits the insertion of the Fleur De Lis motifs I have worked out. I didn't finish Dave's sweater for Christmas, but if luck is with me I will have it ready, blocked and everything, before Twelfth Night, so it still counts as a Christmas gift.

Stay tuned.


--Mambocat

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you persist in the candle tradition, I think you should find some bayberry tea lights or something else small. Leaving candles burning is dangerous.
I know, you think you're careful, so did I, so did a lot of people who had house fires started by candles.
No more candles for me.

Dez Crawford said...

It sounds like you had a fire yourself. I'm really, truly sorry to hear this. We have eight cats and things get knocked down, so I never, ever leave the bayberry candle out on the counter. I always put it in the bathtub overnight, inside a metal bucket, and put it back out in public when I wake up. Otherwise I never leave a candle burning unattended.

Anonymous said...

What about pork?

My German grandmother always served pork and boiled cabbage on New Year's.

My southern-raised friend has an annual dinner where she serves pork, sauerkraut (I guess her German grandmother was from a different part of Germany) and black-eyed peas.

We used to do the bayberry candle on Christmas eve. In the kitchen sink. No cats, only a collie.

Debby

Dez Crawford said...

There is bacon in them thar beans. :)

thatfarmgirl said...

That Magnalite pot makes me homesick.