Monday, February 19, 2007

Only eleventy-thousand,
three hundred and
eighty-four stitches to go.


I spent last night on the windy plains of Upper Nerdlandia, watching the SciFi Channel on cable TV and knitting away like mad on my Mom's birthday sweater. This is where I am on the body:































Bwahahahahahaha!

Oh ye of little faith. Not only do I believe in fairies, I believe in wormholes, too. Time isn't linear, or so says my soul-sis Leef. Especially on Mardi Gras weekend. I am fretting because it seems that the entire population of south Louisiana is not at their workplaces from Saturday through Wednesday morning, so I have been put on a sort of involuntary hold from getting any significant earning-money sort of work done. This situation does, however, provide ample kntting time.

I am disgruntled with the color quality in this photo. I have learned that I can get a certain amount of stitch definition and something besides glaring, blazing, neon redness if I pose red garments against this sage green blanket. But the background does something to make the red warmer, more russet in color than it actually is. This yarn is actually more of a ruby color than it looks in the picture (at least on my monitor). Someday I really, really promise to go to a digital photography class and simply ask, "RED. What the hell is going on with RED already?"

I've been absent from the blog ... and for this I apologize sincerely. I could say that I was abducted by aliens or something, but in fact I have spent the last few weeks moving into new office space and having some extra memory and a wireless card added to my notebook computer.

Please do not ask me what sort of techie stuff the darling young lad at CompUSA installed in my notebook. I am one of those people who is ever-so-politely referred to as an "end user."


Being an "end user" means I think HTML is short for, "Hate The Miserable Laptop."

It means that I need point-click-and-drag programs.

It also means that when the shiny machine offends me, I simply drag it to CompUSA, invoke my Instant Three-Year-Old Superpower and say, "Waaaaaah! Computer slow! Sob! Computer don't work at coffeehouse! Waaaah! Make computer fast!"


I am also being a three-year-old because everyone else in the world except me (and possibly Jo in West Cork) is at Stitches West.

Hi Lisa, hope you're having fun!

So since I can't quite use my new office until Wednesday, I am on a mission: Dave's socks and Mom's sweater, to be done for their respective birthdays, by Friday.

Yes, I am surrounded by Pisceans.


Oh, what did you say? What yarn is that? It's a yarn I scooped up on massive discount at Michael's awhile back. It's been marinating in my stash for awhile. The yarn is "Dublin" from their "Passports" yarn selection, which I think has been discontinued. It's a heavy worsted/light bulky 51% wool, 49% acrylic, machine washable on gentle. Works up at 3.5 st./inch on size 11 needles, which is as big as I go.

My apologies for the long absence. I'll try to make it up to y'all. I am also trying to stunt blog for Joan Hamer while she is in hospital.


--Mambocat

4 comments:

Jo at Celtic Memory Yarns said...

I know that problem with photographing red. And it isn't just you and me - DH, who is something of an expert (he has to be, it's his job) confesses failure with red too. It is, he tells me, almost impossible to get right. So how come the pattern magazines do, huh?

No, I'm not at Stitches West either, and I'm sulking too.

Want I should come over and help you finish that sweater?

Love
Jo at Celtic Memory Yarns

Sande Francis said...

try photographing your red stuff on a medium-to-light GRAY background. Professional photographers include a 25% grey card in the first shot of a new roll of film so the developer can get the colors correct. And, I confess, I've forgotten the exact percentage the gray card is, but you need a pure neutral tone in the back to avoid bringing out cool or warm tones in your reds. :)

Sande

Denise said...

I absolutely love your term 'instant three-year-old superpower' - so perfect! I will be doing my very best to work this into a sentance today.

Anonymous said...

If you have never read Bill Bryson on computers you must ( Notes from a Big Country) .I have no idea what html is and hardly care except that it enabled me to paste something into some-where with Holly's help. French and Saunders do a wonderful sketch of two ladies trying to understand a computer...I havn't made any illegal actions of late though..honest .