Saturday, September 06, 2008

In Brief.

First, I want to thank Lisa Louie in Maui for stunt-blogging and keeping you all updated on what's going on down here.  Lisa, thank you from the bottom of my heart.  You are a dear and good friend and I cherish you.

Deep thanks and gratitude also to my friend and loyal yarn customer Ashley, whose electricity is back on.  She invited me over to use the computer to get in touch with people and update my blog.  

Lisa had been updating you on the basic news and some of this may be a repeat, but here goes:
   
The damage in Baton Rouge is worse than the damage from Hurricane Andrew in 1992.  baton Rouge is a heavily-treed city, with lots of trees in the 85-100 foot range ... white oaks, red oaks, and  pines are down all over the place.  Thousands of homes are seriously damaged by fallen trees, and at present count about 500 homes are completely destroyed.

Our home is safe.  We have some very minor roof damage from fallen branches.  We are very lucky that the water oak (90+ feet tall) immediately behind out house stayed up ... thanks to all of you, and to the deity of your choice, for all the thoughts and prayers for vertical trees.  

There are enormous branches and huge trees down in our back yard, and trees fall across the street on either side of our house.  I had moved our cars to the parking lots at friends' businesses, so after the storm I was able to get out and get to our vehicles.

My mom is okay and so is her house.  I brought Mom and her cats back to New Orleans yesterday.  New Orleans is in much better shape than Baton Rouge.

We do not have power or a land line phone and cell service is still spotty, but is improving daily. the only person who has been able to get through to us with regularity has been Lisa Louie, and again, my deepest thanks. 

More soon, and photos will be forthcoming as soon as my home computer is back on.  I am optimistic that we will have power soon at our home -- perhaps in a few days -- because this morning I saw a bunch of guys with hardhats toolbelts on our street,  so  either the Village People were having a 30-year reunion or the power is under repair.  Our street carries the main Internet cable for the southeast part of town, and we are close to both a hospital and major retail.  So we may have power sooner than I think.  the rest of the city will not be so lucky.

More later.  Thanks again to you all for your good thoughts.  I'll be in touch soon.

Knit on, through all crises. 

I am still dumbstruck at the power of this storm this far inland,

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi from Lisa in Mobile. I am so glad to hear everyone is safe and sound and that things are on the mend. I am equally as glad that it LOOKS like (knock on wood) that Ike is not going to visit near either of us. I'll keep you in my thoughts.